Friday, June 03, 2011

My Own Aquarium

I grew up in a home with freshwater aquariums. It was part of my mother's desire to teach my sister and I about the world. We would all work together to maintain them, and back then we even successfully bred Black Mollies, Platties, and Swordtails. Exchanging the mature off-spring at the local pet store for other "exotic" fish. We even attempted to raise Bettas!

The longer I live with her memory, the more amazing my mother becomes, warts and all! After all, the greatest thing any of us can do is forgive the living. The next is to forgive the dead...but I digress.

So I have often maintained an aquarium over the years. They make wonderful sources of ambient light at night! And like the little boy who would sit on the couch and star for hours at the little mindless inhabitants, I am no less absorbed by them today.

It's been years since I last assembled one. I keep the tanks in my basement and withdrew the 15 gallon upright on Wednesday. I placed it on my deck and filled it with water to check for leaks. Safely sealed still, I cleaned it up and set it up here on the window seat/shelf at the top of my stairs to the second floor on Thursday. It required a new water filter, and new lights for the hood.

Next come the plants and then the fish.

No comments: