Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I SUPPORT The Dream Act

In this past legislative season in Maryland a law was passed called "The Dream Act." It allows for the children of foreign born undocumented residents of Maryland the right to attend state institutions of higher education at in-state tuition levels. Young adults whose families participate, work, contribute, sacrifice, invest, pay taxes, and live within the expectations of our laws. To deny them benefits that otherwise would come to them if only their parents had also been born in the United States, is NOT the kind of neighbor that I want to be.

Those who oppose the "Dream Act", have gathered enough signatures to place the law before a public referendum. Fair enough. So be it. Bring it on!

I, for one, will not sit back idly and allow this law to be repealed when I completely support it. My support is firm. My support reflects my belief that it is an investment in our collective future. My support is because I refuse to allow the mean-spirited, small-minded, self-absorbed xenophobes to prevail, when even they will benefit from it's enactment.

No comments: