Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Own Aquarium, part 3

The new "man" in my life... After first establishing my new aquarium in early June, I introduced some new members a couple of weeks later--and with it the plague. Before I could do anything all the newbies died and with them my original male Beta, 2 of the 3 zebra danios, and the male sunburst platy. It was a dark time.

Wonderfully, the four Harlequin Rasboras remained utterly immune to the contagion, as did the tiniest zebra danio and the female sunburst platy.

My next attempt to repopulate came with the purchase of a new pair of sunburst platys. I understand that the gender distinction in the fish is by their fins. I don't think that the young woman who was distractingly interesting with her face full of metal piercings did. She was rather snarky and intimidating and so I let it go. To the end that I have three very happy female sunburst platys! Was that the sales person's hidden agenda?--if so, well, I couldn't be happier cuz the fish are so happy.

One of the new "sisters" arrived with a wounded split tail, and it has since healed/grown back together beautifully. I know it's only a fish, but an injury that would have sealed her death in the wild is healing in my little aquarium, so....

And then last Sunday I made purchase of two more members of the community. A little spastic Chinese catfish; I swear to Mao, it never stops moving at a rate that would kill a lesser creature--and this new male Beta. Isn't he intriguing? I love his mixture of colors. And he has a very calm and understated personality. Don't get me wrong, he likes to posture with his reflection in the glass, but he doesn’t react to the other fish with aggression, even when they cross into his space.

No comments: