Monday, April 30, 2012

Pigs In The Blanket

I often wonder from where the name for this dish came. It was what we called it in my home as a child. I suppose most people think of it as "stuffed cabbage," and that's really what it is.


The filling is made of:

Meat (ground veal and pork)
onion
rice
Peppers (green, red and jalapeño)

Blend by hand, form into potato like lumps and roll these in large cabbage leaves like a burrito. I blanch the leaves in boiling water to soften them and make them more pliable before I roll the meat inside.

Embed these in a slow cooker surrounded by a mixture of canned spicy diced tomatoes & chilis and sauerkraut (although kim chi will also work if you like the spiciness ratcheted up). I set it on high to bring to a boil and then turn it down to low and let it simmer for 4-6 hours.

It's a make in the morning, eat in the evening sort of meal.

No comments: