Sunday, June 03, 2012

Something Delightful From Something Old

My next door neighbor also enjoys gardening and maintains an impeccably controlled yard. Recently, he purchased a new custom built wooden shed to replace an old aluminum one and in the process did some major cleaning and rethinking of his stash of garden stuff. And that's when the gifts began.

First there was an urn-shaped planter which I made good use of on my deck. Another is a terra cotta sconce planter that I still have to mount and plant. A third item was this odd, but very interesting wrought iron frame to use to hang a large flower pot. If memory serves me well, the last time he'd used it, it was mounted from a tree limb.

In trying to imagine what I would do with it, I stumbled upon an odd inspiration, and hatched a plan involving the purchase of 6 foot tall shepherd's hook mount to hang it from, a large lightweight but substantial looking pot (also needed to be deep), and eventually a water hyacinth. I have toyed with water hyacinths in the past but with no great success.

And I thought, if nothing else it would be an interesting focus point in my overall free-for-all of a garden.

And then to my surprise and delight, the damn thing bloomed! What joy!

No comments: