Saturday, May 17, 2014

What I'm Reading #66

"James Baldwin: Jimmy's Blues and Other Poems" with a wonderful introduction by my friend, Nikky Finney.  Of you are a fan of the writing of James Baldwin, this is a must have addition to your library.  If you have no idea who he is, Nikky's introduction will tell you everything you need to know, and open to you an amazing and too often forgotten American Original.  He endured more of the evils this nation has to offer than most, and came away from it in a manner that saved his own life, told with grace, wit, insight, and courage the true story of the gap between America's (and life's) Ideal versus its Real.

At a time in my life that was critical in ways that I was not even able to see, I happened upon his novel "Go Tell It On The Mountain" and it became for me not simply a sign post on the journey of my life, but a milestone.  What else can I possible say?

No comments: