Saturday, November 08, 2014

Classic Comfort Food: Tuna Noodle Casserole

I never had this growing up.  I was fortunate to find myself the adopted 4th adult son in a most amazing family post college and the mom bear introduced me to this most amazing concoction.  I fell instantly in love, but like I do, I've altered it to the point that my beloved Nickel's Family wouldn't recognize it!  Hey, it's what I do!

SO, without further ado, I give you: Tuna-Mushroom Noodle Casserole.
There are three components to this dish.  One, the sauce; two, the solid ingredients, and; three, the topping.

The sauce is made from:
~ 1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
~ 1 8 oz. Sour Cream
~ .5 cup Mayonnaise
~ 8 oz. of shredded Vermont Cheddar Cheese
~ Tbsp of Olive Oil

The solid ingredients are:
~ 2 cans of solid Light Tuna (NOT albacore--yuk!)
~ 24 oz of Button Mushrooms (sliced)
~ 1 bunch of scallions (sliced)
~ 2/3 pkg of Egg Noodles (cooked)

Topping:
~ Crushed potato chips (a must)

How to do it?

Start by placing the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat, toss in the mushrooms and cover.  Let them cook, stirring them up a couple of times.  They will shrink and create some broth.  That's okay.

Next add the Cream of Mushroom soup, Sour Cream, and Mayonnaise and mix up.  Turn down the heat to about 2.8 and stir in the cheese (but conserve about 1/3 cup for later).  Let it melt slowly (5 minutes), next add the scallions and tuna and take off the heat.  Mix thoroughly and pour into a Casserole dish.

While this has been going on you've cooked the noodles and drained them.  I cook them for a minute shy of the package directions in order to keep them al dente.  Pour them on top of the sauce and mix thoroughly.  In the baking process the slightly firm noodles will absorb some of the extra moisture in the sauce--although it might not look like there is any.
Finally, top with the conserved shredded cheese and then the potato chips.
Bake in an oven @ 325˚ for about 50-60 minutes.  The rest is culinary comfort 101!

No comments: