Sunday, July 12, 2015

Perhaps The Perfect Dinner

I made this back on the 5th.  Swiss Steak and Rosemary Twice-baked Potato.

Swiss Steak -- is so easy.

1) Brown some boneless cuts of beef (I like Sirloin, but Top Round or Shoulder cuts works just fine) in a little hot olive oil.

2) Reduce heat and toss in mushrooms, onions and celery (cover to allow all the juices to reduce into a broth for the meat to simmer in)

3) Add carrots after about 30 minutes and a can of stewed tomatoes with juice.  I also add some Worcestershire sauce at this point, too.  Cover and continue to simmer on low for an hour or so.  The meat will fall apart!  At the end you can thicken the broth with a little tomato paste, but if you choose to do this, mix it well and continue to simmer for 15 minutes to meld the flavors.  You may want to add a little more Worcestershire sauce and even a little freshly ground black pepper.

Rosemary Twice-baked Potatoes

1) Bake the potatoes, duh!

2) Hollow out the centers and place in mixing bowl.

3) Add Cheddar Cheese (for 3 large Potatoes I would use a cup), 1 8 oz container of sour cream, and fresh Rosemary (again for 3 large potatoes--and I like Rosemary--I used the coarsely chopped leaves from two springs plucked from my garden approximately 4 inches long apiece).

4) Mix well and re-stuff hollow Potato shells.

5) Bake at 350˚ for 30 minutes or so.  I dust them with a little smokey Paprika at the end.

No comments: