Saturday, April 21, 2007

Spring "Break" From My Gardens #5


virginiabluebells
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica)

Many years ago, my ex- and I took a spring trip to visit friends in Leesburg, Virginia. The trip took us across the Potomac River via a car ferry, and I will never forget the carpet of Virginia Bluebells in all their azure splender that covered the bank of the river and enveloped the trunks of the trees. It was magical.

My first attempt at including this local Spring perennial in my humble gardens was not so blessed. They were fine the first year, and present the second, and then gone....

The blooms of this second attempt are again magical in their third season. They've also spread some and seem comfortable with their garden mates. In this image, the perspective almost suggests a "kiss" from the bluebells to a nearby celandine poppy (stylophorum diphyllum). And they really are the bluest flower I've ever seen.

No comments: