Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Hour


bonefishgrill
Originally uploaded by Randuwa
Kudus to Mark, the owner of Bonefish Grill, who invited the staff of my school to a completely free happy hour at his restaurant in the Kentlands Shopping complex this evening. Everything was gratis. And Everything Was Fabulous. There were house wines, specialty martinis, and a wide range of mixed-drinks (and even my diet coke with lemon!). The buffet was in constant rotation: Cajun Spicy Shrimp, Shrimp Scampi Mediterranean, Blackened Crab cakes, Rockfish with a Mango Salsa, etc....

All due according to the owner to his promise to his mother who was a teacher to use his success to give a little something back to teachers. The event was absolutely one of the most well attended and appreciated by my school's staff. It reminded me of the way such events are more routine in China where I first taught: evidence of their more culturally pervasive appreciation of education and its role in both individual and societal success. And certainly deeply appreciated by my staff for it's uniqueness.

No comments: