Thursday, January 10, 2008

What I'm Watching #124


hporderofthephoenix
Originally uploaded by Randuwa
Not often first in line when it comes to popular culture, I finally found the time to watch the 5th Harry Potter movie. The occasion was a raging sore throat this morning that precipitated a sick day spent mostly in bed or reclining on my porch swing in the new sunroom. Rest and herbal tea....and a DVD.

This is the first Harry Potter movie that I've seen before reading the book. I actually tried to read this book; and gave up on it about 60% of the way through because it was just too dark for my tastes. J. K. R. can thank her lucrative stars that my sensibilities are more sensitive than the average 11 year old!

But be that as it may, I found the film rather enjoyable. My greatest fear was that the character of Delores Umbridge would be lacking, and this certainly was not the case. Imelda Staunton's performance was devilishly contrived and executed.

Since the next film in the franchise is due in theaters in December of 2008, it may be a safe assumption that the final member of the septology will hit Theaters in late autumn of 2009. I sincerely hope that this is the case. The amazing fortunes of this enterprise have, with the publication of the final volume, passed their zenith -- yet, if a growing number of fans, like myself, have opted to "wait for the movie," it hopefully presents enough of an incentive to make what has been seen as the inevitable, the actual.

And who knows? I might even buy the 6th book now....

No comments: