Monday, April 26, 2010

Art I Owning #8

After my first purchase from Chicago based artist Dean Grey back in the autumn of 2009, I have been so happy with it. So when he finally produced this companion piece entitled "Survivor," I just had to try and purchase it to go with it's mate, "Crumbling".

And the bottom line? I won.

Dean is an amazing artist, who no doubt has more beauty in him to come out in works of art than he has days on the calendar. And every expression of that beauty is a gift. I hope he's still making amazing art, long after these examples are in the homes of my heirs or some museum somewhere. For me, the subject matter is especially precious. I love trees.

I have always loved trees. Growing up as a boy in Michigan, my first love was the monumental crabapple in my backyard that literally spanned the whole yard and topped out with the pinnacles of the telephone poles that traversed the rear fence line of the yard. I've never seen a larger one anywhere. And once you're hooked, you just keep noticing and admiring trees. Can leaves be far behind?

Not for me. I've familiarized myself with hundreds of them as tools for identifying species, and it's like so much in my hyper curious world, I've only just scratched the surface. That this is a water maple leaf by shape is a no brainer. That the colors defy everything I know about the species ~ a brilliant curiosity.

And here is the first painting again. A Silver Maple in traditional colors. No matter, they are amazing exercises in contrast. The old iconic arguments between The Real and The Ideal, perhaps. I know that they will give me much joyful contemplation thoughout the life I've been given: I've Crumbled, and I've Survived.

1 comment:

Dean Grey said...

Thanks so much, Randy!

I know you'll take great care of both of these paintings!

-Dean