Sunday, April 04, 2010

This Year's Garden Gamble

Here's my garden along the back pathway. I past years I have planted rows of Cleomes, Coleus, Begonias, Pineapple Sage, Inpatients, Lupine, and even Tomatoes along it's narrow expanse. To varying degrees the results are impressive. Last year's Pineapple Sage to Coleus to Begonia trinity was especially amazing.

So it's a new year and I have a new inspiration. The photo shows three rows: spent daffodils in the back, purple-yellow violas in the front & wait for it....HOLLY HOCKS in the middle! It's a wild move and what can I do but wait and see what happens? I've never worked with holly hocks before. And there is the question as to what replaces the daffodils in the back and the violas in the front, but the season is young. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hollyhocks are the "official" flower of my hometown. Marblehead, Massachusetts. They grow like weeds. You shouldn't have any trouble with them.

Randuwa said...

Chris,

So good to hear from you. From your lips to my garden's ears!