Friday, May 21, 2010

Modern Family

Okay, I grew up on TV. It was my parent's babysitter of choice. I can't imagine my youth without WKBD Detroit with it's steady diet of "Little Rascals," "The Three Stooges," "Speed Racer," "Kimba the White Lion," "Gilligan's Island," "The Adam's Family," and "The Munsters!" When you don't know much, you know what you know a lot.

And there were other love affairs with TV over the years.

In the late 60's "Star Trek." The 70's were first about the news from Viet Nam and the war and then still local news, and shows like "All in the Family," "The Jeffersons," "Good Times," and "Maude"...

I gave up on TV in the 80's.

"My So Called Life," "Homocide: Life on the Streets," "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego," and "Will & Grace" brought me back in the 90's.

Most recently "Law & Order": (the franchise--and backtracking via seasonal DVD purchases), and "NCIS" has snagged my interest. And then there's this year. Without much consideration to the hype and/or via word of mouth from friends I've completely been captivated by 3 shows: 1) "Glee," 2) "The Office (back tracking again--NOT liking the first season at all)," and 3) "Modern Family." The latter only just in the past few days.

Modern Family is at one and the same, insightful, witty, hilarious, and tender. Just like The Office has morphed into and Glee. It really pays homage to the shocking social humor of shows like "Maude" and "All In The Family" and the derivative nature of shows like "The Simpson's", while being fresh. Here the writers and actors shine. In a recent episode, for example, the character Phil (played by the actor Ty Burrell) delivered this line: "Just to be clear, I'm not condoning eating your kids, but I sure as heck know why giraffe's do it." If you're not watching this, you have no idea what you're missing....

Must see TV.

No comments: