Tuesday, May 04, 2010

What I'm Reading #29

Just finished How The Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill. It's interesting and full of information about some of the major personalities shaping the cultural gestalt of Europe and Ireland at the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th century through the abandonment of Lindisfarne Monastery in 875 after repeatedly being sacked by Viking invaders.

I must say that I am rather proud of myself for knowing all the contemporary ones from Ausonius to Brigid, leaving only the mythologized ancient Irish personalities who's facts have been utterly muddle with folklore and legend to make much of the details of their lives rather dubious as history. Of the ones I knew I gained insights into most and for most for the better. Alas pour Augustine of Hippo was an exception here; moving from being a Renaissance man of human consciousness to a despot without conscience by the end of his human journey. To the contrary Patricius (a.k.a St. Patrick) grew into something of a champion for justice while managing to maintain and deepen his humanity...at least, according to Cahill's rendering.

Not the easiest book to read, and there were sections that I just had to slog through at times, but I'm glad I found the time to do it.

No comments: