Friday, December 31, 2010

My Quilting Ways #19


Well, some measure of creativity was accomplished on this the final day of the year! I made a pillow! Whenever I create a quilt with an original design, I usually make a prototype of the block to see how it works and if I will make adjustments to the design and/or fabrics. These get thrown around and usually end up in a drawer someplace.

I imagine doing something with them, but up 'til now never have. This block was the first for a quilt that I made as a retirement gift some years back now for my friend Shelley.
The idea behind the basic design was to combine the Star of David with the Triangle. A reflection of essential qualities in both of our lives, her Jewishness and my gayness. Both symbols representative of oppression at one time are now symbols of pride. I like to work with fabric, in case this is not implicitly obvious.

So I took the first block and gave it a boarder, then machine quilted it to a piece of awfully ugly fabric (now only visible in the interior of the pillow!). Made a back with a flap held shut with velcro. And, voila! I have a new throw pillow.

No comments: