Sunday, February 13, 2011

Latest Lego Creation, part 2

After establishing the dimensions of the ground floor, I created a base for the second/third floor that allowed for an opening for the grand staircase that leads to the theater's foyer. A second opening is intended for an elevator from the workshop to back stage.

Next, I established the location of the stage. Then, I closed back the opening for the grand staircase, because it was excessive given the need for lego people to have a safe head clearance coupled with my need for more space in the theater. The second/third floor is held in place by gravity and can be lifted out and separated from the ground floor. The side walls of the stage have the first references to the interior's Egyptian-Arabic motifs.

As I design, I have the basic idea in my head. As I build, I'm constantly calculating proportions and sometimes I even complete an aspect of a building fully aware that I will have to deconstruct it in order to add in another element. And sometimes I save aspects that I have well-considered for moments in the construction when I need a break from the rigor of the process.

Switching gears to add the details to the marquee is an example of this.

Time to define the foyer and I removed the second/third floor from the ground floor which I retired to a nearby chair while my focus is on the Theater portion of the building. Six columns form the geometric essence of the area. The dividing wall between the foyer and the theater features two ornate light fixtures and golden mirrors in the art deco style repurposed from the Lego carousel model.

From there I went ahead and built the back and side walls to better define my understanding of the enclosed nature of the space. How this imposes itself on the whole, helps me choose better options when adding details like the seating.

Seating on the main floor in place, I worked on both the stage wall and the motif details. On the front facade, I added columns, again just to give me a sense of how I am thinking about the look and proportions of the front of the building.

The next functional detail is the stairs to the mezzanine level. Here my model stands on the landing. The final height of this floor will be determined by the mezzanine. What I have thus far created is about 2/3's of the way to the space's final height.

A final shot of the work in progress. The white beam defines the edge of the mezzanine where I envision an additional 36 seats to compliment the 38 on the main level.

Of all of the things I've built, I'm really liking this one a lot!

No comments: