Saturday, July 14, 2012

Bon Apetit, Mes Amis, My Meatloaf

This is a signature recipe for me. It is the mixing of 4 ingredients, three are basic to what is essential to meatloaf, and the other is my secret ingredient.

Essential #1: Meat

I choose ground beef with a medium fat content. An average package is fine (1 lbs)

Essential #2: Breading

There are many options here, Oats, Bread Crumbs, etc. I use Corn Flakes! Yes, Corn Flakes are the ONLY way to go.

Essential #3: Veggies & Herbs

I make this component in a blender and I include 6 things:

1 medium onion
2 juice stalks of celery
1 table spoon of freshly chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 egg
3 table spoons of catsup

I moosh all of these ingredients together thoroughly by hand and then add....wait for it, wait for it...diced apple! Ta da! Yes, diced apple. I first experienced diced apple in ground beef in Zimbabwe. It's just a great extender for the meat and works really well in meatloaf.

Once formed into the loaf, I coat the exterior with Hunt's Barbecue Sauce, and then bake it at 325˚ for just over an hour...65 to 75 minutes based on the final size. The one in this pic cooked well in 65 minutes.

No comments: