Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Avenue Q--Two

What a great "theater date" with my buddy, Perri. Back to Olney Theater to see their production of "Avenue Q" which curiously enough she and I went to back in (2009?) to see the National Broadway Touring Company's production down at the Warner Theater in DC. And you know what? Olney's production was honestly better. Better sets, better choreography, and every role in stellar hands, I can't think of a character that I didn't like more in this production and especially the roles of Gary Coleman and Christmas Eve. I've been to productions by Arena Stage, Washington Shakespeare Theater, and Studios Players--all nationally recognized as outstanding regional theater companies--and again, I gotta say--Olney is, at least for musicals, every single bit as good or better. (WST doesn't do musicals)

 Afterwards we went to Ricciuti's Restaurant. I got the Calamari appetizer--best breaded squid I've ever eaten, and the Chicken Saltimbocca (with prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, fettuccine, and sun-dried tomatoes in pan sauces.) A wonderful Afternoon!


No comments: