Friday, June 20, 2014

Playin' Possum

Oh NO! Roméo! What have you done?! 
It was the culmination of days if not weeks of knowing something, but not catching the lucky break he needed to prove in the light of day what his nose had been telling him so clearly. When I got home, he was anxious to get outside. After about 15 minutes I casually followed to water my hanging baskets. As soon as I opened the door, I could tell something was up. I followed him with my eyes as he tried to stealth away from me and it was obvious he had something in his mouth.
 I called out his name and he dropped it. Oh my... a little 'possum. Damn. I did a visual and saw no external wounds, just the matted hair wet with Roméo's saliva. Watching closely, I could see it was breathing.
 So carefully I lifted it by it's a tail. Opossums sometimes choose to hang from their tails so this was not inconvenient or painful for the little guy, and it gave me the opportunity to give it a complete visual once over. It gave the 'possum the best chance in its young little life to "play 'possum"!
I laid it down on a smooth rock under the lilac bush and made sure Roméo was inside watching Chile v Spain. At halftime I went out and the little feller was vamoosed. Ah, parenthood!

No comments: