Sunday, September 21, 2014

Peach Frittata

 I bumped across this recipe today. You know I gotta try it!
PEACH FRITATTA

INGREDIENTS
• 1 clove minced garlic
• 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 6 ounce fresh spinach, cooked (about 3/4 cup), drained and chopped (10 oz. pkg of frozen spinach can be substituted--it's what I used)
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
• 2 large fresh peaches, pitted and sliced
• 6 eggs
• 2 tablespoon water
• 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh basil leaves
• 1/4 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes 
Cook Time: 40 minutes

PREPARATION
In heavy, ovenproof 10-inch fry pan, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil just until wilted. Press spinach to remove all water; chop and add to pan. Heat through, blending with the garlic and onion. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
Arrange peach slices on top of spinach mixture. In mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly with water and pour over all. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 325° F for 30 to 45 minutes or until set. Cut into wedges to serve.
Looks awesome!  Now, how do I adequately describe the actual taste of the results? It is good, I wouldn't say it is great...and I think one reason is that a tarter peach might have been a better counter to the savory spinach and onion. Am I disappointed in it? No. If I had order this in a restaurant, I would have finished it and thought of it as a unique experience, but not necessarily one that would repeat often. Also I am thinking about ways to take it to the next level.

No comments: