Sunday, June 11, 2017

Tomato & Broccoli Gratin

 The recipe from the latest edition of Cook’s Illustrated magazine titled “Best Summer Tomato Gratin” inspired this meal.  After reading it, I sort of did what I always do--my own version!

Ingredients

3 cups of Italian Bread, cubed 3/4 inch
2 cloves of Garlic, diced
1/2 of an onion, diced
1/4 of a Green Bell Pepper, diced
9 good sized vine ripened Tomatoes, cored and cubed 3/4 inch
1 smallish head of Broccoli, chopped
2 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of black pepper
6 oz, Fontaine Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
Olive oil

I cubed the bread the night before and left out loosely covered to dry out.  Then I toasted the croutons on the stove top with some olive oil and set aside. 

In additional olive oil (maybe a Tbsp) I sautéed Garlic, then added Onion and Green Pepper, then added the broccoli and stirred it around for about 2 minutes.  Next I added the chopped Tomatoes along with the sugar, salt and pepper and mixed covered and lower the heat to simmer.  Every 2 minutes I stirred the mixture and covered for a little over 10 minutes.

In my casserole dish I combined 2/3's of the croutons with 2/3's of the Fontaine cheese and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan.  Then I began spooning in the Tomato/Broccoli mixture and folding in with the croutons until about 2/3 of it was combined.  Then I pressed the mixture down and more loosely added the remaining croutons followed by the remaining Tomato/Broccoli mixture.  I topped this with the rest of both cheeses and baked at 350˚ for 45 minutes.
After finishing this plate of this dish, there was only thing left to say, "MORE, please!"

No comments: