Thursday, May 23, 2013

Gay Head Memories


There was a time when commercially developed photos came with dates on the back (month & year)--it was a genius idea. I'm placing this pair from my own memory to June 1990. 

It was a time in my life when I had been teaching for 6 years, I was very troubled in my inner world about my life, about my sexuality, about my future. All of my friends were moving into marriages and families and I was without a sense of how to move forward.

Living in central Kentucky at that time didn't seem to help, either.

In the midst of this I took a two week trip (my first) through New England and the Maritimes of Canada with my dear friend, Kelly. His love and presence in my life, save it. That's not hyperbole. He showed me back then that I was worth loving; which in hindsight seems nearly absurd to me now, but at that time the angst my lost heart felt engulfed by personhood.

He has always been my faithful friend and constant love even though it's 20 years since we've been in one another's presence. Come what may, he and his wife are my true anchors in this wonderful, amazing life.

No comments: