Saturday, August 31, 2013

Chicken Soup

Feeling under the weather?  Make Chicken Soup!

I always make this after I have purchased a roasted chicken from a local grocery store.  Freshly purchased, I eat the meat on the legs and thighs and then make soup or chicken salad out of the breasts.

When it's soup this is what happens:

I fill a soup pot half full of water.  I add 2 to 3 condensed chicken stock gels, the dark jelly from the base of the roasted chicken, several cranks of freshly ground black pepper and a generous .25 tsp amount of dried dill.  All set to heat on the burner.

I add then in this order: 1) large finely diced onion, two stalks of sliced celery, 3 sliced carrots, one 8 oz. pkg of sliced baby portobello mushrooms.  Let them cook and create the savory broth.

Next the torn chicken meat.  And if it brings the cooking down, I wait until it boils again to add a quarter cup of pasta stars, and the juice of one freshly squeezed lemons.

Finally, I toss in a generous package of baby spinach, stirring and mixing and then turn down the temp to a simmer and leave to steep for at least an hour.

No comments: