Friday, October 14, 2016

Turkey Cutlet with Asparagus and Peas on Cavatappi


This was so easy to make. Iron skillet to start with a little olive oil, a generous amount. Medium heat (6) and in go the four Turkey breast cutlets and on top I sprinkled a little salt and some nice lemon pepper spices. After a while over to the other side and then again back, add half a diced red pepper, 3 cloves of minced garlic, one medium onion diced and then 12 oz of fresh sliced button mushrooms. Cover and reduce heat (3.2) for about 20 minutes. The simmering draws the juices out of the veggies and really infuses the flavors. Aside I assembled one bunch of asparagus and sliced them lengthwise Tips, cut 1, and cut 2 about 2/3 way down the stalks and discarded the bottoms, and 1/2 a bag of frozen peas. After 20 minutes I turned the heat off altogether and set about prepping the water to boil the pasta. I used Cavatappi, because I had it; noodles or bowtie or any other would have been fine, too. I also took 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and a quarter cup of finely shredded Romano, Asiago and Parmesan cheeses and mixed them together well. When the turkey stopped boiling I poured the cream and cheese mixture over the turkey etc. and returned to low heat for 20 minutes uncovered--and I swished the contents in the skillet a little to mix the cream and broth. Halfway through I got the pasta cooking--the water was just boiling and it takes about 11 minutes for it to cook. At 20 minutes I added the peas and asparagus and returned the cover for 5 more minutes. When the pasta was done I poured it into a colander, and after it drained, placed pasta on my serving plate and into containers for left-over meals. The timer went off, and I turned the heat off on the turkey skillet and reset the timer for 5 more minutes to let the cooking settle. Altogether just under an hour, but I had a great dinner and three more to come--2 lunches at school and one in the freezer for later.

No comments: