Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Year Of Living Theatrically: Fall-Out!


In campaign seasons, my mailbox is brimming with political fliers entreating me to vote for the candidate, letters begging for contributions and postcards thanking me for the contributions that I do make. And since I started living this present year of theatrical excess--theater flyers! Contribution and membership solicitations (my phone rings often with these requests, too!) And sometimes even coupons. Here's what came in the first 4 days of this week, por ejemplo.

1) Shakespeare Theatre Company's "King Charles III" a speculative play about the ascension of Prince Charles to the throne. Came with a 10% discount code, but I'm not interested. This year I have been to their productions of "Romeo & Juliet" (C-) and "The Secret Garden" (A+)

2) Olney Theater's "Sweeney Todd". I already have my ticket. I really want to see it on stage, and Olney is a grand company. They were co-producers with Round House Theatre in the productions of "Angels in America: Millennium Approaches" (A) and "Angels in American: Perestroika" (A) that I saw back in October.
3) Round House Theatre's "Caroline, Or Change" a new musical about the civil rights movement by the same author of "Angels in America" Tony Kushner. I have not purchased a ticket, but I am interested.

4) University of Maryland Theater Dept and the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center's production of "The Importance of Being Ernest"--a grandly funny play and I did want to include a production at the University in the year. It's possible.

5) Everyman Theatre's "Great Expectations" in Baltimore. I just saw "Dot" (A-) there which was wonderful. But Dickens doesn't interest me so much.

No comments: