Saturday, November 18, 2006

Destination: ALBANIA


albania
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
Okay, we are only human. We are creatures of intellect and emotion. I've shared these attributes freely on this blog on many occasions. Movies make me happy and sad. The War on Terrorism makes me sad and angry. And this announcement from the DOD (Department of Defense) makes me SO FUCKING ANGRY!

Okay breath though my nose.....count to ten, continue.

I am angry that my tax dollars support torture. I am angry that I am now a target for retribution when I travel overseas because my government has chosen the lowest possible road in the journey to defeat terrorism. I am angry because the lying-sacks-of-SHIT who are our elected leaders claim the mantle of Christianity when committing their sadistic, juvenile, and purely evil acts upon others in the name of our great nation.

And I am reminded of all of this by this press release:

"The Department of Defense announced today that it released three detainees from Guantanemo Bay, Cuba, to Albania. One of the detainees is an Algerian national, one is an Egyptian national, and one is an ethnic Uzbek who was born in the former Soviet Union.

"All three detainees were determined to be “No Longer Enemy Combatants” (NLEC) through a Combatant Status Review Tribunal (CSRT), a review process held at Guantanemo during 2004-2005 to determine classification status of all detainees.

"The United States has done the utmost to ensure that these three detainees will be treated humanely upon release. Our key objective has been to resettle these detainees in an environment that will permit them to rebuild their lives. Albania will provide this opportunity."

ALBANIA? A place to find opportunities?

This description of Albania from the CIA's world book of facts:

"Between 1990 and 1992 Albania ended 46 years of xenophobic Communist rule and established a multiparty democracy. The transition has proven challenging as successive governments have tried to deal with high unemployment, widespread corruption, a dilapidated physical infrastructure, powerful organized crime networks, and combative political opponents . . .. Although Albania's economy continues to grow, the country is still one of the poorest in Europe, hampered by a large informal economy and an inadequate energy and transportation infrastructure."

Hey, People, don't rush the gates trying to get into Albania! I'm sure there's still plenty of room for people who have been given the opportunity to rebuild their shattered lives after the world's only super power has confined and tortured them for a few years because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.... oops!

Am I the only one who feels really angry about this?

No comments: