Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What I'm Watching #45


thetrip
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
After a day in which I was once again called upon to assist in a child restraint action (this time a kindergartener who is autistic and who "snapped" yet again; this time I was actively involved in restraining his movements to keep him from hurting himself; this time he bit my colleague; this time it lasted 25 minutes and involved screaming at the top of his lungs; this time he didn't hit his head on anything; this time he didn't put anything into his mouth that could have harmed him or upon which he might have choked) I was ready to take a trip.

It happened to be "The Trip". And I really love this film. The male leads are so damn empathetic. The attention to detail (circa 1972 to 1984), and the comic/tragic swing of the narrative provide a compelling watch that will delight your need for authenticity and squeeze your heart. This one requires kleenex! Two thumbs up for both Larry Sullivan (left) and Steve Braun (right); and an enthusiastic pinky for Jill St. John's supporting actor role (how long ago was the "Poisiden Adventure" made?)

This one is time well spent, and when I need a good cleansing cry again, a perscription waiting to be refilled.

No comments: