Sunday, September 23, 2007

Art I'm Seeing #20


goundswell
Originally uploaded by Randuwa
Edward Hopper is in town, fresh from his recent visit in Boston! And he's magnificent.

The show is at the National Gallery of Art through January 21st and then he's off to Chicago. And although today was my first visit with the master, it won't be my last. There is so much about his works that I want to study while I have this chance.

First impressions: 1) He was the consummate outsider by his own choosing, and yet his connections to other artists both past, contemporary, and present is fascinating. From Winslow Homer and John Singer Sergeant to Rockwell Kent to Richard Deibenkorn and even Chris Van Allsberg. 2) His utter mastery of the duality between inner and outer spaces and worlds, both natural and psychological is both hypnotic and enigmatic. And, 3) The works are just so damn beautiful!

More later, perhaps...

No comments: