Friday, May 06, 2016

Another Teacher Appreciation Moment


A snapshot from the teaching trenches. It's teacher appreciation week and the PTA at my school has plastered the hallways on the ground floor with big yellow stars on black squares like the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In the middle of the star is a teacher/staff member's name. At my school that means over 100 stars. It's eye catching.

With a student population of over 1,000, I still have my favorites. Children who have crossed my path for one reason or another. One is a little African American girl who started with us in 3rd grade and who is now in 5th. My very first interaction with her was during one of our testing windows. It was a very stressful day and I was abrupt in responding to her question--not mean or upset in any way, just in a hurry quick--and she burst into quiet tears. That'll get my attention every time.

I have since learned that she is on the spectrum of Autism and receives support services. But let me tell you something else about this child--she is remarkable. It may be that all that is wonderful in her mind doesn't proceed from her efforts as easily as it does for most other children, but she holds a very special inner glow.

In the time between our first unfortunate encounter and today, I have gently interacted with her in appropriate moments only--nothing forced or special, but moments well invested. Just now, I passed her in the hallway and she uncharacteristically looked me straight in the eyes and said with a smile, "You're a star!" A little star floating in this amazing galaxy!


No comments: