Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Visiting Mount Vernon, Virginia, part 1 of 5

 Visiting Mount Vernon, Virginia today with my second graders. My first visit and I missed a lot in the 3 and half hours we had to tour. I would definitely return and would bring visitors to DC, too. Much of what I spent my time touring was outside. It rained most of the day so some of the pics my have a blur from a raindrop on them...

I start with the Mansion, where we were not allowed to take any photos of the interiors. The Mansion included the main house and the two side houses: The Servant's Hall and the Kitchen. Also vistas of the Potomac River.





 The back porch overlooking the Potomac.
 One of my students looked up at me and said, "I don't think he threw a coin across that..." Ah, my little cynic--how I love thee.

 He loved the Lebanese Pine. Another magnificent one presides over his family tomb.


From the Loggia at the entrance to the kitchen looking past the mansion to the Servant's Hall. Within the servant's hall where two rooms on the ground floor, a room for dining and a kitchen, A dormer space on the second floor was reserved to the slaves who accompanied guests like coachman and personal servants.

No comments: