Saturday, June 04, 2016

My Garden Zoo 2016: North America

Like previous years I have created mini-habitats in container planters and flower pots all around my deck.  In then I place mini-animal figurines in them making what I call my Garden Zoo.  One could say that I'm a little obsessive about it...  I currently have 68 container habitats with 73 different figurine species representatives including mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians.  As zoos go, mine is pretty impressive!  Let's start a tour.  We'll do it geographically, and we can begin with North American Habitats.  I'll number them as we go, but the numbers are just arbitrary.

There are two species of Deer.

White-tailed Deer, Odocoileus virginianus
Florida Key Deer, Odocoileus virginianus clavium

There are moose.

Moose, Alces alces


Mountain Goat, Oreamnos americanus
American Bison, Bison bison

A sixth herbivore, the American Pronghorn Antelope, is in the process of joining my zoo.

Canine members from North America include 3 species, with two more on the way to joining.  The new species are the Arctic Wolf and the Coyote.  Here are the members presently on display.
A pack of Timber Wolves, Canis lupus

 Red Fox, Vulpes vulpes
Arctic Fox, Vulpes lagopus

There are also three species of North American Bears in my Garden Zoo.
Polar Bear, Ursa maritimus
 Grizzly Bear, Ursa arctos horribilis
Black Bear, Ursa americanus

One sea based mammal, the California Seal Lion, is also a part of my Garden Zoo.
California Seal Lion, Zalophus californianus 

And then there are smaller mammals like:
 American Badger, Taxiea taxus 
Striped Skunk, Mephitis mephitis 
American Marten, Martes americana 
Wolverine, Gulo gulf 

Finally, there is the Snowy Owl.
Snowy Owl, Bubo scandiacus 

Additionally two new habitats in containers are under development.  One for the North American River Otter and the other for the North American Beaver.  Additionally, there are other North American species awaiting a habitat that include Rattlesnakes, American Alligators, Harbor Seals, Cotton-tailed Rabbits, Jack Rabbits, Raccoons, Chipmunks, and Red Squirrels.  The zoo that grows, is the zoo that prospers.

North American Beaver, Castor canadensis

No comments: