Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Good Bye, Old Girl

Purchased back in 2003 from an elderly Jewish women who only drove it to synagogue once a week--and it was downhill both ways!--my 1995 Honda Civic came to me with only 15,360 miles on it at a time when I desperately needed a car with an automatic transmission. Whew! (There's a movie pitch somewhere in that sentence!).

And here I am--eight years later--having driven the odometer to 98,938 miles, and without any great need for her anymore. On one level it's a mental comfort to own two vehicles, but on another for me it's also a luxury that just doesn't make any sense. Not because she is costing much. I own her out right, and the insurance is minimal. But for her sake, not being driven is a waste of her potential. It's time that someone get her who will use her while her usefulness remains valid.

Mentioning this burgeoning idea to my mechanic's grandson recently sent him into an animate flurry of an imagined conspiracy between us. He assured me that he could get me a great deal on it's sale...his sweet Thai eyes wide and glistening with thoughts of his own finder's fee. She's a great car. Selling her was never the issue. The hassle of selling her was what I was not interested in. My solution?

Donation!

So I have donated her to WAMU FM, my local NPR station. It was (IS) surprisingly easy. All the paperwork is done. All that remains is for her physical transfer and introduction to her next owner. I will get up-dated paperwork upon her actual sale that will present my tax deduction, and that makes me a lot happier than selling her and deal with my tax burden.

Bon Voyage, mes amie!

No comments: