Sunday, January 29, 2017

Veggie Egg Salad

Not every dinner is a heavy one! Some days all I want is something light. Tonight it was a salad with a pair of veggie-egg-salad stuffed tomatoes. It might be obvious at this point in my posts, but I love eggs. I just do! Scrambled, sunny-side-up, poached, hardboiled, deviled, in salad, omlettes, fritatas, queches and custards--I got it bad for the humble egg. And this is my more involved egg salad recipe. Everyone had a basic one (egg, mayo/and/or/mustard and maybe sweet pickles. This one goes one level further.


I begin by placing in a food processor 1 chopped raw carrot, 1 chopped raw stalk of celery, 3-4 chopped scallions, 10-12 gerkin sweet pickles, 1/4 chopped wedge of a sweet red pepper. I grind them up into a relish consistency. Next 1/3 cup mayo, 1/3 cup Sweet Spicy Chinese mustard, and 7 hard boiled eggs, yokes in whole, whites crudely chopped. Process again until all is well mixed and of an even thickness. The results are remarkably dry. Make fantastic sandwiches. Rich in fiber, vitamines, and protein--excellent for any low carb diet. And best of all? It tastes amazing.

No comments: