Saturday, April 14, 2012

Zesty Minestrone Soup


Zesty Minestrone Soup

Broth:

a) 1.5 (I had a half container in the fridge) of Chicken stock--a little set aside for sautéing of the chicken.
b) 2 quarts water
c) 2 Chicken Bouillon cubes
d) tsp dried parsley
e) tsp dried oregano
f) generous cranks of freshly ground black pepper
g) tblsp olive oil

Meat

h) I sautéed two chicken breasts in 2 tbsp of chicken stock and a generous drizzle of olive oil. After cooked, torn into bite-size and smaller pieces. Meat and all remaining liquids added to broth.

Ingredients added to soup in no particular order:

i) 2 carrots pealed and cut into discs
j) 1 package button mushrooms sliced
k) Celery (I used the remnants of a bunch containing 4 solid stalks and the smaller interior ones. I like celery!)
l) 1 bunch of scallions sliced
m) 1 can of zesty diced tomatoes with jalapeños including juice

I cook the whole menagerie on a low-medium heat tossing things in as I get them ready and it takes about 40-50 minutes, no rush. As it nears the boiling point, I add the final ingredient.

n) 1 cup of Fagioli pasta

Bring to slow boil for 6 minutes and then simmer stirring occasionally for and hour or so, to give the flavors time to mingle and pasta will soften more.

Because I used chicken meat I did not use beans this time. Traditional minestrone soup would have used Cannellini beans. You can make this recipe exactly the same with the beans instead of the chicken meat and it's just as good. Vegetarians can make it with the beans and vegetable stock and bouillons and it works, too!

It's a very versatile recipe.

No comments: