Thursday, December 26, 2013

So I Baked A Ham...

So I baked a ham on Christmas!  An 8.19 lb ham to be exact.  I glazed it with a spicy mustard/brown sugar mixture and scored the fat layer and poked in a couple of dozen Cloves, too.  Then baked it for the better part of 120 minutes @ 325˚--result?  Perfectly, juicy, sweet & savory baked ham!

And then I ate all of two modest slices...

So now the work begins.  What to do with the rest?  Most will be frozen, but along the way it will be used to enhance other dishes, right?  First, iteration?
Three Cheese Mac & Cheese with Green Pepper, Onion, and Ham.  It's the only way I make Mac & Cheese, and once you do, you'll realized that you have entered an entirely new world of taste reality!

The recipe is fairly simple and all starts with a roux.  Melt 1 stick of butter on a low heat.  Whisk in .5 Cup of sifted flower.  Whisk until just bubbling (you may have to increase the heat slowly as you go.)  Add to this, slowly--with the whisk--2.5 cups of milk.  Stir to keep creamy consistency.

Combine this with 1 box of Rotini Pasta (cooked), .75 cups each of finely diced Onion, chopped Green Pepper, cubed Baked Ham AND 5 oz. each (half a standard 10 oz. block) of  3 cheeses of your choice, shredded.  I used Vermont Sharp Cheddar, Munster, and Monterrey Jack with salsa.  Once everything is thoroughly mixed, bake it @ 325˚ for about 45 mintes until it's all bubbling nicely!  Let cool for 15 minutes and serve.

1 comment:

Chris said...

My goodness, lovely recipe. I couldn't eat it (I use much less cream, butter, and cheese for mine) but I'm sure it was delicious.