Friday, July 04, 2014

Through Back Thursday #2

Just a day late, again.
A pair of TBT pics from the same apartment that the picture of me and the shark were taken at. Bill took that picture. The first is of me and my apartment mate at the time, Michael. Michael was the son of an American airman and a German mother. They met and married when his father was stationed in Germany, but then his father had the miss fortune to be killed in Vietnam after being sent there. Michael was raised by his lovely mother. We met my senior year at college and quickly became fast friends. I have so many lovely memories of Michael. I stood beside him at this wedding. A couple of months after he moved away with his bride, I told him (like I was finally ready to tell everyone I knew) that I was gay. When I came out to him, he wasted no time pronouncing his judgment against me like he never knew me. And that was last time we ever spoke to one another. 
The second picture is of Michael and me with Bill. Bill and I met our freshmen year at college and maintained a friendship, not particularly close, but kind throughout. After Michael moved out, an opportunity opened up for me to move into a three-bedroom rental in the countryside. I knew that Bill was attending seminary and money was tight, so I invited him to live with me rent free as long as he would contribute to the utility bills. When I came out to Bill, I think I shook his world a little and he is a very thoughtful man. I think the sum total of his reaction was a measured statement of, "Okay." Two days later we had a conversation at the kitchen table, and after that it was no bid deal. To this day, Bill is a cherished friend.

The shark picture:

No comments: