Saturday, July 23, 2016

A Wonderful Meatless Dinner!

Went with two dishes.  Both were super good.
No Meat Zucchini Roles:
(You can substitute pasta for the zucchini and use manicotti or large shells.)

The inspiration for the filling comes from a recipe I first made over 25 years ago I found in the great cookbook "Sunday's at Moosewood Restaurant," but I have long since forgotten the proportions, changed a couple of the ingredients and vary the spices to suit my needs. In a food processor combine: mushrooms, walnuts, carrot, green pepper, scallions, parsley, and celery. Just some of each: I used a medium bag of walnuts, 8 oz of baby portobello mushrooms, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, 1/2 of a green pepper, 6 scallions, 1/4 cup or so fresh parsley...oh, and a decent sized red Thai chili pepper for a little kick. 
What you get should look like the mix in the bowl. I later added a cup of cook rice, too. This will have the consistency of a cooky dough. I seasoned it with a generous amount of a Moroccan Spice Mix. tastes of cumin, cinnamon, paprika...along those lines.

Next I sliced two large zucchini into lengthwise slabs and blanched them in salted water for a couple of minutes until they were just about ready to go translucent. Then I removed them to paper towels where they continued to cook and just became a little translucent--you don't want to over cook them (they become mush, you don't want to under cook them (they are difficult to roll. I lined them up three side by side, placed some no meat mix across them, rolled them up and transferred them to a baking dish.

Finally, topped them with Mozzarella cheese and a little oregano before baking.

Stuffed Tomato Fancies:

For the stuffed tomatoes. Food process a heaping cup's worth of dried bread crumbs with fresh parsley, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Next I stirred in a diced scallion and 1/2 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese.

I cored a package of Campari Tomatoes and then sprinkled them with my homemade sage salt. Next I tightly stuffed them with the bread crumb mixture.


Both dishes bake in the oven @ 375˚ for 40-45 minutes.

No comments: