Monday, May 30, 2016

My Kentucky Coffee Tree

Three years ago I collected a seed pod from the ground from a Kentucky Coffee Tree and planted the seeds.  One sprout.  And here it is three years on!    Soon I will need to find a good place for it to go into the ground.  That will be interesting in my limited and quite full yard.

As you might have guessed the Kentucky Coffee Tree was the Kentucky state tree.  I say was, because it was down-graded to the state "Heritage" tree when surveys discovered that there were actually not that many in Kentucky.  The tree is more common in Indiana and southern Ohio!  The Bluegrass state replaced it with the Yellow Popular which is a common tree across the eastern United States and is also, in fact, the state trees of Indiana and Tennessee.  I think a state tree ought to be more common in a state.  I lived in central Kentucky for nearly two decades and I honestly couldn't tell you where to find one!  I could; however, take you to a Sycamore, a Hackberry, an Osage Orange,  a White Oak, and Shagbark Hickory or any one of a dozen other common trees.  Oh well....

No comments: