Monday, September 04, 2017

Summer Vacation Redux #15: Badlands National Park, part 4 of 4


Shortly after the reaching the top of the plateau again on the northwestern end of Badlands National Park, you are given a choice.  You can follow the main paved road straight north to the interstate and the town of Wall, South Dakota.  OR, you can veer off onto a washboard rough dirt road and head for a simple fence-line with a metal cattle-grid across the road.  My instincts told me to make left!  I did so without consulting my traveling companion and he looked at me like I was nuts.  I just said, "trust me on this one." 

And the payoff was the chance to encounter another herd of American Bison!  I just can't tell you how wonderful these opportunities were for me.  I hope you enjoy the photo record of them, too.  Without further ado, welcome to part of 4 of 4 of my Badlands National Park adventure, and yes, I'm including the maps again.











Just to show how close we were.  None of these magnificent creatures behaved cantankerously.  And we certainly returned the favor!

No comments: