Saturday, September 02, 2017

Summer Vacation Redux #9: Sioux Falls: The Great Plains Zoo, part 7 of 7


The final zone is 7 and it is home to the redesigned Asian Cats area opened in 2008.  The area features 3 species Amur Tiger, Snow Leopard, and Pallas' Cat.  All three were on display, if reticent to provide any easy photo ops.  The Tiger was so into his nap that he looked more like a rug draped among some rocks and tall grass.  The Snow Leopard, Uncia uncia, was at least willing to offer a regal pose from the far end of it's habitat.



Snow Leopard, Uncia uncia

There is also a large pond with an island in the middle.  I think this area was home to American Alligators at one time.  The zoo map indicated their presence, but I didn't encounter any.  Instead this pond and island was home to a wide range of water fowl.  I counted 9 different species of which I will share pics of three.
 Black Swan, Cygnus atratus.

 A Northern Pintail, Anas acuta, with some of her frenetic and curious brood.  It had been a good year for this species at the zoo as one end of the pond was a scatter with their ducklings!

a Great White Pelican, Pelecanus onocrotalus, a different species from the American White Pelican, which has a row of black feathers lining the outer edge of its wings.
 In a different are nearby is a flock of Chilean Flamingo, Phoenicopterus chilensis.  They fascinate me.

 They such a wonderful "evil" eye stare.

And finally, another rarity.  The zoo is home to a pair of beautiful Koalas, Phascolarctos cinereus.  I've never seen this species in person before.  And here's the really cool thing--this entire exhibit was just temporary.  The two Koalas, Moki and Burra were on loan from the San Diego Zoo for this summer only from May 13 to Labor Day.  I had no idea when I changed plans to make this zoo a visit, but I'm so glad that I did for this and many reasons.  Only 10 zoos in the United States keep Koalas, and the closest one to Sioux Falls, South Dakota is in Ohio.  I didn't realize that zoo's did this sort of thing, and I'm so grateful to have discovered it in this particular instance.



No comments: