Friday, September 01, 2017

Summer Vacation Redux #8: Omaha: Henry Doorly Zoo, part 1 of 11

On the next day of my cross-country Total Eclipse road trip, I had driven to Council Bluff, Iowa at the end of the previous day in order to spend this day at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska.  Henry Doorly is like a grand art museum of animals and so I will parcel it out like I did the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum in Kansas City as I share my thoughts and photos.


As to the Henry Doorly Zoo, it is an amazing place!   I arrived as it opened, and left as it closed, and still didn't experience all of it.  Some zoo's have 1 or 2 hallmark habitats--Henry Doorly has nearly a dozen.  Founded in 1894, it is among the oldest zoological parks in the nation, and it benefitted mightily from the patronage of the Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company starting in the mid-20th century.  I, for one grew up watching the TV program "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom".  The end result is that today this median sized city in the middle of the United States is home to one of the top three Zoo's in America (beside San Diego and Brooklyn). 


And so it's particularly fitting that I would start at the Mutual of Omaha Pavilion.  And structure that would be part Herpetarium, part Small Mammal House, and even host an little Aviary and River Aquarium.  It's home to a variety of small animals. 


One wall also hosts examples of animal art that can be purchased to support the zoo.

Of all of the exhibits, I was most captivated by this beautiful cabinet full of Harvest Mice, Micromys marutus.  Native in Europe and extant as far east as central Asia, these sweet little creatures were all over the place enjoying their morning meal. 



 This central structure was home to various fish, turtles and birds.

Additionally, I enjoyed a wide variety of Reptiles.  Like this Rhino Rat Snake, Rhynchophus troulengeri.

Or this, Cave Rat Snake, Orthriophis taeniurus ridleyi, that calls Thailand home.

And the final resident to share is this Prehensile-tailed Skink, Corucia zebrata from the Solomon Islands of the south Pacific. 
I don't assume any animal hierarchy or species expectations when visiting zoos.  I just open up my sense of wonder and let the flood of discover overwhelm me.

No comments: