Saturday, September 02, 2017

Summer Vacation Redux #9: Sioux Falls: The Great Plains Zoo, part 4 of 7


Zone 4 was a wide expanse of open green spaces where the zoo keeps their African Savannah species.  I saw Eastern Bongo, Reticulated Giraffe and Common Ostriches (not pictured) and these three species pictured.  Listed but not on display were Meerkats and Cheetah.  And what I realized when I exploring this area is how I failed to see any zoo staff anywhere.  Except for the pair of young men running the little zoo "train" (a series of trams on wheels--no track), I never did see a single zookeeper. 

The pair of male Grevy's Zebras, Equus grevyi, were active and entertaining--at one point in a sort of "Brokeback Mountain" way.... 





The African Wild Dogs, Lycoan pictus, were sleepy, but still beautiful.




And the Grey Crowned Crane, Balearica regulorum, gave wonderful photo ops.  They are such beautiful creatures.  They are more endangered than there Black Crown Crane cousins, and I think  more attractive, too.

No comments: