Saturday, September 02, 2017

Summer Vacation Redux #9: Sioux Falls: The Great Plains Zoo, part 2 of 7


The next section led me past more open areas along the perimeter and a lesser primate/monkey house with interior and exterior spaces.  The photo opportunities were hindered by the fencing grids, but you could still enjoy Common Squirrel Monkeys, Ring-tailed Lemurs, a pair of acrobatic Saimang, and even a large exotic vulture of some species the name of which I failed to copy down.  Another set of habitats contained a wide range of larger birds from Hawks to Scarlet Ibis.  The only disappointment was the habitat for the African Penguins--and you already know that I have rather high standards when it comes to this species.  I sent a very positive letter to the Great Plains Zoo upon my return home and made mention of my hope that they would take on recreating this area as their next project.
 A curious, if sedentary Guanaco, Lama guanicoe, returns my attention.

 Much the same reaction from this quartet of Greater Rhea, Rhea americana.

Something that you don't see at many zoos, a pair of Galápagos Island Tortoise, Cheochelone nigra.

No comments: