Saturday, April 23, 2016

Spring Break Redux: SAM, part 6 of 8

 The fourth floor features works of European Art from the early 20th century to Ancient Mediterranean cultures and works from Africa.
 These are brass weights used in west Africa to sell gold and other precious minerals.
 "Dining Room, Rue de Naples, Paris" 1935 by Édouard Vuillard
I am a HUGE Vuillard fan.  His works resonate with me in a very profound way and this painting was a joyous discovery in my journey through his body of works.
 "Wheat Field" 1860 by Paul Camille Guigou
 "Saint Sebastian Tended by Saint Irene" c. 1638-39 attributed to George de La Tour
When I first saw this painting, I immediately thought of La Tour.  Another artist I have had the good fortune to know through his oeuvre.
 "Head of an Old Man, Bust Length" c. 1642 by Salomon Koninck
Didn't you think Rembrandt, too?

Italian Room c. 1575 - 1600
I found this space simply amazing--I love when museums steal whole rooms and reassemble them to let you enter a space from 450 years earlier! The wonder is to look at the wood trims and ornamentations and think "This was done by people without routers, or computer driven laser thing-a-ma-bobs and still the precision...

No comments: