Saturday, August 06, 2016

Lasagna, By The Book...er, Magazine!

I highly do recommend for anyone interested in the mechanics of cooking the publication "Cook's Illustrated". It's a bi-monthly magazine chocked full of interesting adventures with food. The focus recipes come with detailed explanations of their preparations, variations, tips and best practices and I learn something new every time it arrives!
Hot and still bubbling right out of the oven!
For example, I made the lasagna in the latest issue and the preparation of the noodles was a revelation to me. I'll be honest, I LOVE lasagna--and I HATE making those damned noodles!...er, pasta. Based on the notes from this recipe, this time I brought a pot of water to a rolling boil and then turned off the heat. Dropped in the pasta and covered the pot. Set the timer for 15 minutes and waited for it to ring--and shazzam! PERFECT freakin' noodles!


While there are some simple photos in the magazine, it is primary full of detailed illustrations like the one in this recipe--true to the title. I'm only including the recipe. There is an entire article on every conceivable aspect of making lasagna with this recipe and long explanation of the ins and outs of the pasta alone. I got my subscription this year as a gift from a friend, and it's one that I have every intention of renewing.

No comments: