Friday, April 22, 2016

Spring Break Redux: The Empire Builder

After my running around in Chicago, I returned to the Amtrak station and prepared to board my second of five trains: The Empire Builder for 3 days and 2 nights from Chicago to Seattle.
This leg of the journey would take me through several cities including:
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • Milwaukee, Wisconsin
  • La Cross, Wisconsin
  • St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota
  • Fargo, North Dakota
  • Glacier National Park, East Glacier, Montana
  • Spokane, Washington, and
  • Seattle, Washington (my destination)
You also encounter three of North America's greatest rivers: 
  • the Mississippi River
  • the Missouri River
  • the Columbia River
Passengers on this train are divided into two sets of sleeper cars and two sets of couch with dinner and observation cars in the middle, because when the train arrives in Spokane, it splits in two!  The dinner car continues to Seattle with the front of the train, and the observation (with a snack bar) goes along with a new engine to Portland, Oregon.
My new car attendant was Mary.  Mary and I hit if off big time.  She gave me her phone number when we arrived in Seattle and offered to take me hiking at Snoqualmie Falls.

A Mary was ready with Reeses Easter Eggs and chickie napkin for all of her guests as we entered our Roomettes.  Mary was a tireless worker who reminded me a little of a slightly shorter, blond version of the Frances McDormand character from the movie "Fargo".


No comments: