Thursday, April 21, 2016

Spring Break Redux: Day 1 and Day 2 Itineraries.

 Because I am a little anal.  Oh, just a little!  I prepared a rather extensive set of Itineraries for each day of the trip in order to frame what I should expect to experience along my route.

I also included proposed things to do when I was not on the train.  Some of these changed with the reality of being in a new place.  One changed because I completely screwed up in juggling my plans!  Even with Itineraries...  stuff happens.
So here you see 1) The assumed duration of the my time on the Amtrak Capitol Limited from Wednesday through Thursday, 2)  My arrival in Chicago and plans for my time there (over 5 hours), and 3) My departure from Chicago on my next train, the Empire Builder.

Notes from my trip:

#1 - Dinner was BBQ pork shanks with rice and mixed veggies. I dined with Jeff a retired train enthusiast and sun dial devotee and Ruth a retired Avon Lady who was anxious to get home to Portland after the Brussels bombings.

#2 - Some place in western Pennsylvania in my berth looking out the window at Orion being followed by Sirius, the, dog star--when suddenly the moon joins the chase.

#3 - Sleeping on a train (like typing on a smart phone on a train ) is an acquired skill, I think! Fortunately I will have several opportunities to practice.

#4 - Breakfast with a Chicago couple. He a statistician for a medical insurance company, she a court reporter. Both former teachers. Lovely conversation.


No comments: